Friday, May 6, 2011

M.D. + N.D. = :-)

Lately I've been feeling that my Lyme M.D.--who's fairly new to treating chronic Lyme and specializes in endocrinology--hasn't been helping me enough. Sure, he acknowledges chronic Lyme, hyper-coagulable state, chronic Epstein-Barr and pneumonia, CFS and candidiasis, which *each alone* is more than what a mainstream M.D. can or is willing to treat. And for that he's wonderful. He diagnosed me with all my infections through proper bloodwork (finally someone did!) and put me on Armour thyroid for Hashimoto's disease, so I'm definitely grateful to be his patient!

But he's not savvy enough on chronic Lyme because he's not too experienced with it. He can't answer many of my questions and doesn't even know what a Lyme die-off rash is. While I appreciate his somewhat alternative approach, I don't think he's alternative enough for me, which led me to seek out a naturopath I've wanted to work with in conjunction with my Lyme M.D.

So, about two weeks ago, I searched for someone on Yelp who was an all-around naturopath, someone who could do everything from lymphatic massage to muscle testing to EFT to energy field work to Chinese medicine. I didn't know if this person existed, but I found him! Luckily he's only a 20 minute drive from where I live. He certainly is a jack-of-all-trades, adding chiropractic to the list that includes all of the above. And he costs far less than what I had expected.

So far, in three one-hour visits, he's energy tested my liver (it's congested every time), adjusted my spine, grounded my energy, performed acupressure on my liver and gallbladder points using pressure to my feet and a laser pointer, muscle tested my subconscious thoughts, performed Emotional Freedom Technique, muscle tested my supplements, and added a few homeopathic remedies to my protocol.

The new supplements, all of which come in the form of drops, include trace minerals (he determined I was mineral deficient and my water source is not hydrating me adequately), a neurotransmitter blend (which includes serotonin, dopamine, norepiphedrine), a biofilm buster (made up of enzymes that serve to bring the bugs out from hiding), and a lymphatic drainage remedy.

Since I haven't updated any of you on what I'm on since March 5th, I thought I'd update you on everything I'm taking, and share some notes on some things I was taking and have removed from my regimen:

  • Minocycline: Still my main antibiotic for killing Lyme.
  • Cat's Claw anti-fungal and anti-viral: Took for 3 months but not taking it right now. I muscle tested poorly to both the capsules and drops so I had to stop.
  • Cumanda drops: Also anti-viral and anti-fungal. Yes I am still on this for killing chronic infections.
  • Probiotics: Now taking two kinds to restore intestinal flora that antibiotics kill, and to kill candida.
  • Armour thyroid: I continue to muscle test very well for this, indicating my body eats it up! This is for my Lyme-induced Hashimoto's disease.
  • Iodine: Not taking it because I muscle tested very badly for it and it seems to be messing with my Hahimoto's. Hmm!
  • 5-HTP: I have replaced this with L-tryptophan for the time being because I haven't decided which I like more, and they essentially do the same thing. Both boost serotonin, which blood tests proved was so far below normal range that it was undetectable. I have undetectable serotonin, wow!
  • Vitamin D3: I still take this and respond well to it. Lyme depleted my Vit D levels to below normal range. Vital nutrient.
  • Chelated magnesium: Still take it and need it and eat it up! Lyme also depleted my magnesium levels to below normal range. Also vital for health, and without it, you become metal toxic.
  • Omega-3 oil and Salmon oil: I interchange between these two to combat chronic inflammation.
  • Vitamin B6 and B12: Temporarily on a break from these since I muscle tested poorly to them individually. Need to start taking a B complex again.
  • Diflucan: Nope and never again, haha. This was for candida but it's one hot mess of a drug.
  • Progesterone cream: This one is iffy. I use it only between ovulation and menstruation, and I've muscle tested poorly to it but still include it sometimes. Will retest again soon.
  • Vitamin C: A very basic anti-inflammatory. Yes and always!
  • Gamma globulin: No more. I had two shots but I've moved on to other immune cell boosters for now, although I plan to revisit GG shots again in the future, down the road. This increased white blood cell count, which was WAY below normal.
  • Coffee enema: I started these for liver detoxification, 2 x a week. Enemas are... not fun.
  • Trace minerals: Necessary since Lyme depletes minerals. I drink them in all my water now.
  • Chlorella!!!: I put three exclamation points because chlorella is the motherload of everything. It detoxifies me, purifies me, and I muscle test very positively and eat it up as often as I can!!
  • Vitamin E: Yes. Another important anti-inflammatory to keep my inflammation in check.
  • Cymbalta: A necessarily evil. SNRI which keeps me sane til my brain heals.
  • Neurotrans: A homeopathic version of Cymbalta, hopefully to help reduce my dependence on Cymbalta.
  • Neuro Anti-tox: An important aid for neurotoxins in the brain and/or neuro damage caused by Lyme. 
  • Taurine: Strengthens cell wall strength and helps with brain function, among other things.
  • Adrenomend: A wonderful herbal supplement for fatigued adrenal glands, and my adrenals are very weak from Lyme. Adrenal strength helps your body manage stress.
  • Ashwaghanda: An herb for adrenals, but I muscle tested poorly so I'm on a break from it right now.
  • A-BABS: A parasite killer which I take in a low dose but not consistently. I'm cautiously testing my body's reaction to it.
  • Biofilm Buster: A new supplement made up of enzymes that bust the fibrin sheath that helps Lyme hide. Exposes Lyme bugs so the other meds can better kill them. Also thins blood, as Lyme patients have hyper-coagulable (thicker) blood.
  • Grapefruit seed extract: Naturally kills yeast and mold in the body (anti-fungal)
  • Lymph Drainage: A homeopathic lymphatic drainage liquid to help unclog the lymph nodes.
  • Nasal wash: A natural anti-fungal spray that kills resistant sinus infections and detoxifies the brain of Lyme neuro-toxins. Have placed an order, awaiting it in the mail. Will start ASAP.
  • Chanca piedra: An anti-parasitic to kill bugs and co-infections. Also in the mail to start ASAP.
  • Artemisinin: Another anti-parasitic to kill bugs and co-infections. Also in the mail to start ASAP.
  • Baking soda and sea salt: I bathe in these nightly to detoxify my body. Many of the supplements I'm taking (above) release toxins into the body as they kill infections.
  • Cilantro, lemon juice, garlic: I try to eat at least two of these daily, as they all contain natural anti-viral and anti-Lyme properties.

1 comment: